Marpole, originally a Musqueam village named c̓əsnaʔəm, is one of Vancouver’s oldest neighbourhoods, settled in the 1860’s. In the early 1870s, the “Eburne” settlement began when Harry Eburne opened a store near the foot of Hudson Street which served the nearby farming community. The first Marpole Bridge was built in 1889 connecting Richmond to Vancouver. Eburne renamed itself after Richard Marpole in 1916. In the 1920s it was a neighbourhood of sawmills and canneries. The Oak Street Bridge (1957) and Arthur Laing Bridge (1976) shifted the business area.
January 31, 2009 — In a nearly unanimous decision, Council voted to support park land at Eburne on November 20, 2003. Council also instructed all the parties involved to work with the community towards the creation of a public park amenity at Eburne.
November 21, 2005 — The Marpole Business Association (BIA) asked this question as part of an award-winning contest in 2001, asking community residents and shoppers about what Marpole meant to them. Some of the responses were striking; hidden jewel, historic, village, friendly, affordable west-side, safe, neighbourly, gateway to Vancouver, well-serviced shopping area, home.
September 24, 2004 — Since October 2003, the Marpole Business Association has been working with other community groups and residents in attempting to obtain a park land allocation at the former Eburne Lands sawmill site, along the Fraser River waterfront (south of SW Marine Drive).